Wednesday, July 9, 2008

New Quit Now Challenge


One of my favorite bloggers, Chile Chews has "allowed" those of us who are willing to continue with the Quit Now Challenge for July. I'm not sure but I think there are more participants than in June! My challenge is to not buy any produce that is NOT local - local being Idaho, Washington, & possibly Montana. Shortly after this started, I went with my daughter to Costco to get more vinegar & baking soda, among other things, and realized just what I'm not going to be buying: no bananas, no nectarines, no avocados, no lemons, no limes, no grapes, no large bag of red peppers to chop up & freeze... The only local produce I could find were Ranier cherries and potatoes - from WA, not ID!

Saturday morning I visited the Farmer's Market - hadn't been there since Opening Day back in mid-May. Bought carrots and icicle radishes for a potluck later that day. Found Rainier cherries and WA blueberries for $5.00/lb! Yikes! Passed on both of those. Luckily, my strawberries have started producing, and I still have lots of lettuce in the garden. The chard is just about ready, the beets needs thinning, & the peas are now ready.

Found some organic tomatoes that were just beautiful, but grown in a greenhouse. Bought 2 - they were okay, but were greenhouse tomatoes. What more can I say. It will be another month, I think, before I have red tomatoes, at the earliest. Also bought some green onions to chop & freeze. And of course some more herb plants from my favorite herb place, Nothing But Herbs - another cilantro & a basil. Also bought 2 different kinds of eggplant starts - daughter no.1 wants me to grow some eggplant. Put them in a large pot - hope it's not too late...

So, 9 day down, 22 more to go...

1 comment:

Carla said...

I guess I shouldn't complain then - I just remember all the ones I picked for free with my Mom when I was growing up in northern Wisconsin.

I picked my first ripe one off my bushes last night - and there WAS only one ripe one. Lots of green ones, though...