Friday, February 20, 2009

Shopping for Preparedness


This past weekend one of the local thrift stores had a 'Fill-a-Bag' Sale for $7.00 Another sign of the times?: these sales used to be $5.00 for a bag... Anyway, I was able to get $24 worth of clothing for my $7.00. No idea what this amount would be if I purchased new - I don't buy new clothes any more & am not going to bother with looking it all up.

I got 2 pairs of pants, 2 sweatshirts, 2 all wool shirts, a heavy turtleneck and a pair of boots. If you look closely, you can see the L.L. Bean label on one of the pairs of pants, and the Pendleton label on a wool shirt. The boots are Timberland, and are good for an extra pair for my B-O-B/72-hr kit. (Oh, yeah - and a Disney label, too - I thought my grandkids would get a kick out of the Mickey sweatshirt.)

I also made a stop at the dollar store to get bungee cords, duct tape, a plastic drop cloth/lightweight tarp, some granola bars, bandaids, Ace-type bandages, toothbrushes, and samples of 2 food items to try to see if I want to use them in my kit. (one was a beef stick & a processed cheese stick in a package, the other was ham salad & crackers). Both were tolerable; not something I'd eat on a regular basis due to the preservatives and sodium content but for emergency purposes would work. But, I did run out of crackers before I ran out of the ham salad, even though by the last 2 I was heaping the stuff on. I'll probably get some for my pack, whick mainly needs food items for be complete.

No comments: