Friday, April 25, 2008

Growing Challenge Report

Well, not much to report - I was able to start some digging on Sunday afternoon, then woke up to snow on the ground Monday morning! This week has been rain-filled, but luckily, no more snow. The weekend is shaping up to be fairly nice. If it dries out enough today, I'll get my asparagus roots planted this weekend.
A few weeks ago, during a particularly miserable snowy/rainy day, I badly needed a gardening fix so I started some seeds indoors. Since I usually don't have much luck with this, I used saved grocery seeds (lemon, re
d pepper, grape) plus some apples seeds from a friend's tree. No sign of anything coming up in those pots. I also planted 'old' seeds, again because of the rotten luck I have. The oldest seeds were from 2002 (Renee's Garden, untreated seeds): Scarlet Emperor Runner Beans and Garden Candy Cherry Tomatoes. I also planted some Martha Stewart cabbage seed from 2003 (Earliana) and some pickling cukes from last year. Most of these were planted in egg cartons, the beans in milk cartons.
Well, Here are the photos. I've had to transplant the tomatoes, cabbage & cukes. Don't know WHAT I'm going to do with those beans!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing spot you have for your garden. Can't wait to see all those yummy seedlings grow!

The beans... I suppose you probably have to wait another couple weeks until the danger of frost has gone...? You can try repotting them in bigger pots until then. Or if the ground isn't snowy, you could plant them out under a cloche. A cloche should get them about 10-20 degrees F warmer than outside temps.

Green Bean said...

Holy cow! I'm jealous. My seedlings look nothing like that.

Anonymous said...

Those seedlings look awesome! It snowed here again today - I'm ready for spring now, please.