Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The mystery is sol-ved (said in an Inspector Clouseau voice)

I finally looked in "The Encyclopedia of Flowers" (a BD gift from a wonderful friend a few years ago) last evening to identify my mystery flower/plant. I was actually looking up Stock, which I saw on another blog - and there it was: Lunaria annua - also known as the Money Plant (or Honesty or Silver Dollar Plant). And then I remembered: when I was given the hollyhock seeds, I also received some money plant seeds - it was THOSE I threw along the side of the house 2 years ago, NOT the hollyhocks... (sigh) Well, at least I'm no longer confused about what it is - just discouraged about my memory, or lack thereof.

I've only seen the money plant at the end of the season, when it's already gone to seed, with the flat seed pods. My plants did not flower last year so didn't produce seed pods. Now I'm really befuddled because it's supposed to be an annual, or a biennial. Aren't biennials produced the second year from the previous year's seeds? Enough! I'm just going to enjoy it and let it grow as long as it wants, where it wants.

1 comment:

Green Bean said...

Very cool! I've heard that the money plant is loads of fun for kids once it goes to seed but have never had one. Beautiful flowers.