Friday, June 20, 2008

Independence Days Report/Growing Challenge Report


How about a view of the garden to start? Red potatoes from last year's crop on the right; lots of tomatoes on the left, including the 3 Romas in (cat litter) buckets; volunteer spinach & lettuce to immediate right of them.

Planted: more onions & radishes, Yukon Gold potatoes, yellow crookneck squash, basil (from the seed swap on Rhonda Jean's blog); made a 'baby tree nursery' next to apple tree for free trees from Arbor Day Foundation

Harvested: lettuce, spinach, radishes, herbs: oregano, chives, cilantro, parsley

Preserved: not much, only some chopped zucchini into the freezer for future homemade cat food. Going to have lots of strawberries when they start ripening though...lots of gree
n ones, if you can see them.


Cooked something new: tried 2 different recipes from a couple of my favorite bloggers: on Tuesday evening I made Laura's Radish & Greens Salad, using spinach instead of lettuce & whipping up some of my own vinaigrette since I didn't have any on hand. Very yummy - had the leftovers for lunch the next day. The other recipe was last night's supper (Breakfast-for-Supper Night): Melinda's Scrumptious Melt-In-Your-Mouth Low Fat Yogurt Pancakes. These are as yummy, yummy, yummy as they look. Served with homemade rhubarb jam. I have some with me for my 'morning snack' today. The rest went into the freezer for grandson's visit this weekend.

Managed: very little here, although it took a lot of time: I cleaned out the garage & moved food supply into the house for the summer - gets too warm for good storage.


Prepped: stopped by a rummage sale on my way to work this morning; was able to add to my supply of games & puzzles. Set up the army cot from Freecycle in the back yard to check it out. When I cleaned out the garage, I brought the cat carriers in to clean up & have ready plus let the cats get used to them.

I think they're getting the hang of it (yes, they went in voluntarily, and yes, I sprinkled some catnip on the inside first).

Worked on Local Food Networks: received an email response from one of the organizers of the sustainable community network/Transition Town-Sandpoint member; was added to the email list for the group. And, while not local, it is food networking: am one of the lucky folks to be receiving borage seeds from Ms. Green Bean.

Reduce waste/Give back to the land: using a pail in the kitchen for 'extra' water: rinsing kitty water dish, washing garden vegetable, cooking water not saved for soup, etc., to water garden

Learn new skill/re-learn an old one: brushed up on my margarita making skills and my hair-cutting skills - and yes, in that order. Re-learned that one margarita is enough, two are way too many, but also realized that I've been cutting my hair for so long, it's difficult to mess up (thankfully!)

The Growing Challenge portion of this
report: my poor, sad-looking cukes:

I don't know if they're going to make it. I think they need some nice hot weather, and luckily, today is supposed to be in the 80s. I might mix up some manure tea for them this weekend...

But, on a brighter note, the popcorn did NOT rot in the ground & seems to be coming along:

I don't think it will be "knee-high by the 4th of July' though...
That's garlic behind it - I pulled one for the vinaigrette mentioned above - & just because I was too curious to see what it looked like: very small, but definitely garlic!

No comments: